Renovation & Addition
(Formerly known as the Finance Building)
Renovation and Addition: $26.3 million
Gross Square Footage (GSF): 124,000
GSF of Addition: 51,400
Construction Start: May 2004
Occupied: October 2005
Rededicated and renamed the Oliver W. Hill, Sr. Building on October 28, 2005.
The first and only building in Virginia’s Capitol Square to be named for a prominent African American and the first state-owned building renovated and restored through the Public-Private Education and Infrastructure Act of 2002, also known as PPEA.
The building houses the:
- Lieutenant Governor's Office
- Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services
- Compensation Board
Scope of Renovation
- Preserved and renovated the building to maintain its architectural and historical presence.
- Addition of entrances and other accessibility features for the disabled
- Replaced main roofs
- Repaired upper cornice and roof parapet walls
- Repaired main entrance portico
- Renovated west elevation (facing Capitol)
- Renovated and preserved elements such as the wrought iron and grand marble staircase, handmade mosaic tiles, wooden windows, bronze front doors and steel vault door to what used to be a safe for the Treasurer's office
- Built a 51,400 square foot addition behind building facing Governor Street
Originally constructed in 1895, a south wing was added between 1896 and 1925. Stucco was added to the exterior of the building in 1929.
First building to be constructed specifically for state offices. Its original name was State Office Building.
This building was built after the civil war and was a symbol of Virginia emerging from the Reconstruction. It is the third most historically significant building in Capitol Square following the Governor’s Mansion and the Capitol.
The Oliver W. Hill, Sr. building has been used for:
- Virginia State Library
- Supreme Court
- Museum of Natural History
- State Office Space