Closing Information for State Agency
The Governor makes closing decisions about the daytime work hours of administrative agencies in the Richmond Metro Area when emergency conditions affect more than one agency.
Agency heads outside the Richmond Metro Area make closing decisions for their agencies. All college and university presidents make closing decisions for their institutions.
For closing information for agencies in the Richmond Metro Area you can:
- Visit the Department of Human Resource Management’s website at www.dhrm.virginia.gov
- Listen to WRVA radio (1140 AM) or any Clear Channel affiliate (Q94, Lite 98, XL102, 106.5, Sports Radio 910)
- Watch local television stations WTVR (6), WRIC (8), and WWBT (12)
- Call the Highway Helpline at 1-800-367-ROAD
- Employees who would like to receive emergency closing announcements by text message may follow DHRM on Twitter.
If you are employed outside the Richmond Metro area check with your supervisor or agency human resource director for details about local media announcements.
Individual agency heads make closing decisions when emergency conditions affect that agency only.
DHRM policy number 1.35 covers emergency closings.