Internships at DCLS
Are you interested in pursuing a career in public health or laboratory science? Now YOU can help promote and protect the health and safety of all Virginians! Internships at DCLS provide a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in one of the most diverse public health laboratories in the Nation. As an intern, you will have the chance to participate in a variety of laboratory activities and interact on a daily basis with public health and emergency response laboratorians. The experience gained from the completion of a DCLS internship will strengthen your credentials as you prepare for a career in public health.
DCLS internships are project-oriented and are designed to be mutually beneficial to the intern and the laboratory. DCLS does not offer internships consisting solely of “shadowing” experiences. Projects will vary based upon DCLS initiatives. Successful candidates will be assigned to a project within one of the analytical or support sections at DCLS!
Internship Program Areas:
- Clinical Microbiology
- Emergency Preparedness (biological and/or chemical)
- Environmental Microbiology and/or Chemistry
- Food Microbiology/Food Safety
- Infectious Disease Pathogen Detection
- Molecular Subtyping
- Newborn Screening
- Quality Assurance/Auditing
- Applicants must be a Virginia resident, at least 18 years of age and either:
- Be enrolled as a rising Junior, Senior, or Master’s degree candidate in a science or public health-related program at a College or University.
- Have recently graduated from a science or public health-related Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree program at a College or University OR a Virginia resident attending an out of state College or University.
- Applicants must submit a current resume or CV.
- Applicants must submit a transcript from each higher learning institute attended that is listed on the application (official or unofficial will be accepted).
- Applicants must submit a letter of reference from an academic professional with knowledge of the applicant’s coursework.
- Applicants must have maintained a cumulative minimum 3.0 GPA.
- No hand-written, late, or incomplete applications will be accepted.
- Applicants must be able to provide immunization records, as requested, if applicable to area of work.
- ALL selected candidates must successfully pass a criminal background check.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
How to Apply:
DCLS will begin accepting applications for the Summer 2017 Internship Program on December 15, 2016.
Application Deadline: February 3, 2017
Step 1) Complete the application packet, including reference letter, using the links below
Internship Application 2017 (PDF)
Internship Reference Form (PDF)
Step 2) Submit the completed packet to the contact information below NO LATER THAN: February 3, 2017
Submit completed application packets either
Electronically to: DCLSinternship@dgs.virginia.gov
By mail to:
Division of Consolidated Laboratory Services
Attn: Internship Committee
600 North 5th Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Internships will occur during the summer, typically for 10 – 12 weeks, beginning in May or June. The exact internship start and end dates will be coordinated with the specific internship mentor.
Confirmation of application receipt by DCLS will only be provided upon applicant request.
For questions, please email us at: DCLSinternship@dgs.virginia.gov