Use of Capitol Square Grounds
The Capitol Square is open for the use and enjoyment of all citizens. Visitors should contact the Tour Guides for more information on visiting Virginia's Capitol. Groups interested in holding an event on Capitol Square will need a permit. Please read the Regulations for Capitol Square and then submit an Application at least six days prior to the requested date.
- Events can be held for 1 hour at the area in front of the Bell Tower
- Events are scheduled on a first come basis
- No parades or processions will be allowed
- Prohibition of the operation of unmanned aircraft systems (UASs, or "drones") within the airspace above Capitol Square:
- Pursuant to § 2.2-1129 B, Code of Virginia, the Division of Engineering and Buildings, to protect public buildings and grounds at the seat of government from injury, prohibits the use of unmanned aircraft systems (UASs, or "drones") within the airspace above Capitol Square.
- In accordance with Section 331(8) of the Federal Aviation Administration Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (P.L.112-95), unmanned aircraft is defined as "an aircraft that is operated without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the aircraft."
- Said prohibition is in accordance with the spirit of the currently-proposed federal FAA regulations in its effort to protect public safety and avoid the risk of damaging Capitol Square infrastructure and appurtenances.
DEB will issue permits to approved applicants by fax or mail. These permits will include any specific stipulations or procedures that may be necessary at the time.