Commonwealth of Virginia employees are offered a comprehensive benefits package, including: paid holidays, retirement assistance, group life insurance, a variety of health insurance plans and more. Visit the Department of Human Resources page for more information.
Job openings may be advertised in a variety of methods. Job opportunities are advertised as described below:
- General Public (G) – Applications are accepted from all applicants
- State Employees Only (E) – Applications are accepted from current state employees only
- Agency Only (A) – Applications are accepted from current agency employees only
Applicants should pay particular attention to the code displayed for each position to determine if they are eligible to apply.
Competing for Selection
Applications are reviewed to determine who is eligible to compete further in the selection process. The review is based upon the position requirements - the required combination of experience, knowledge, skills and abilities. Applicants whose qualifications appear to most closely match those required for the position will be further considered in the selection process.
DGS uses job-related criteria to select those applicants who will be asked to participate in additional assessment steps, which may include an oral interview and/or a work sample exercise.
Job-related information gained during the selection process will assist the hiring official in making the final selection decision. Equal employment opportunity objectives also are considered by the agency in the decision-making process.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
The Virginia Department of General Services is an equal opportunity employer. Veterans and individuals with AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service experience are encouraged to apply.
- Non-Citizens: DGS hires only United States citizens and lawfully authorized alien workers. Non-U.S. citizens applying for state employment are required to possess employment authorization documentation from the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA): Applicants requiring special accommodation to
participate in the application and selection process should notify the interviewer.
- Selective Service Registration Act: All males between the ages of 18 - 26 must be registered with or exempted from the selective service system. For more information about registration, visit the Selective Service page for more information.
Working in VA
From the bustling activity near our nation's capital to the majestic Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia has much to offer. Whether hiking the Appalachian Trail, swimming at Virginia's beaches, or immersing yourself in Virginia's rich historical sites, there is something for everyone.
Richmond, Virginia's capital, is conveniently located in central Virginia and is just a short distance from many of the Commonwealth's popular sites and attractions. The Richmond metropolitan area is home to approximately one million citizens and is described by Style Magazine as "a beautiful and graceful southern city, that it is hopelessly mired in tradition, that it is a vibrant center of commerce and arts."
Find out more about the Commonwealth of Virginia