EMERGENCY RESPONSE CONTACTS
Requesting Emergency or After Hours Laboratory Testing Service
If Calling During Normal Business Hours (8:15 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Call the main DCLS switchboard at (804) 648-4480. The operator will direct callers to the appropriate contact to discuss emergency testing, or call the following individuals at the listed extension:
- Denise M. Toney, Ph.D., HCLD, Director: ext 282
- Angela Fritzinger, Ph.D., Deputy Director: ext 205
- Ed Shaw, Director, Laboratory Operations: ext 152
- Wanda "Willie" Andrews, BSMT (ASCP), Director, Laboratory Operations: ext 153
- Marilyn Bibbs Freeman, Ph.D., M(ASCP), Director, Laboratory Operations: ext 270
If Calling After Normal Business Hours
- Call the DCLS Emergency Duty Officer who is available 24/7/365 using the following mobile number (804) 335-4617. The Emergency Duty Officer will direct callers to the appropriate contact to discuss testing. The Emergency Duty Officer also will arrange for emergency courier transportation if needed.
Requesting Emergency Service: Emergency laboratory support may be requested from the Division of Consolidated Laboratory Services (DCLS) through the main switchboard during normal working hours. The operator will direct callers to the appropriate contact for service. DCLS also provides a laboratory Emergency Duty Officer who is on call 24/7, 365 days a year, to respond to any emergency. This officer can be contacted by calling the following mobile number (804) 335-4617. Sample testing may be requested by Emergency Responders, State or Federal agencies. DCLS emergency responders will collaborate with site commanders to select appropriate testing strategies, ensure proper sample collection, and ensure that preservation and transport procedures are followed.
Emergency Testing Services: Prior to sample arrival at DCLS, a team of scientists will be assembled and this team will be tasked with identifying and implementing effective analytical solutions specific for the emergency event. Response teams are usually composed of one or more Ph.D. level Lead Scientists that direct the activities of several senior chemists, microbiologists and virologists. Members of the team are well-trained for specific analytical tasks which include handling highly infectious or toxic agents. All DCLS staff members are designated as "Mission Essential" and subject to recall. DCLS maintains a test menu with over 650 analytical methods and a large and diverse inventory of state-of-the-art equipment capable of meeting most analytical challenges.
Result Reporting: Testing results will be called to the individual indicated on the DCLS chain of custody and sample submission form. Results will also be mailed to the address indicated on the submission form on the next business day after testing is completed.