SYPHILIS RAPID PLASMA REAGIN (RPR)
Test Description: The Rapid Plasma Reagin (RPR) Card Test (Arlington Scientific Inc.) is a qualitative and semi-quantitative flocculation test for the detection of reagin antibodies in human serum and plasma as a screening test in syphilis serology.
Order Approval Required? No
Specimen Type: Serum
Collection Container: Red Top or serum separator tube
Optimal Volume: 7mL
Collection Guidelines: The optimal amount of specimen is 7ml of coagulated blood in a red top or serum separator tube. 1 ml of coagulated blood in a red top tube or 500uL of sera is acceptable.
Storage Container: Samples are refrigerated for 5 days in original specimen tubes. They may be aliquotted into a cryovial and are frozen in -20 °C freezer.
Storage Instructions: Samples should be stored at 2-8 °C for 5 days after collection. Serum may be aliquotted and stored at 2-8 °C for shipping or frozen at -20°C or colder.
Transportation Instructions: Ship on cold packs
Test Methodology: Flocculation by Rapid Plasma Reagin (RPR) Screening Test
Causes For Rejection:
- Identification on the form and tube does not match.
- Specimen is grossly hemolyzed or lipemic.
- Specimen has apparent contamination or particulate matter present.
- Received insufficient quantity of sera/plasma for testing
- Specimens were maintained under improper storage conditions or out of holding time
Possible Results: Reactive (titers included), Non-reactive