The Division of Engineering and Buildings (DEB) is comprised of the Director's Office, the Bureau of Capital Outlay Management (BCOM) and the Bureau of Facilities Management (BFM).
The DEB Director's Office provides guidance and administrative support to the Division and two supported boards and councils. The Office also reviews, coordinates, and approves requests to use the Capitol Square grounds and other DGS-owned property. The DEB Director serves as the Commonwealth's Building Code Official. The office also manages and coordinates special projects and events at the Capitol Complex.
BCOM provides the professional and administrative staff support for the Director of the Division of Engineering and Buildings in his legislatively-mandated role as the Building Official for State Buildings. The Bureau also is charged with assisting the Department of Planning and Budget in the capital budgeting process.
BCOM is responsible for:
- Enforcing the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code to assure compliance with life safety and code requirements in design and construction
- Providing building code, cost and procurement reviews of proposed state agency construction and capital outlay projects
- Developing policies, procedures, standards, forms, and other documents for the procurement of professional and construction services by state agencies
- Authoring and maintaining the Commonwealth of Virginia's Construction and Professional Services Manual (CPSM)
- Providing training and guidance on the proper application of Construction and Professional Services Manual requirements
The Bureau of Facilities Management (BFM) is a customer-focused organization whose primary function is to provide a quality environment for the approximately 75 state agencies that occupy the facilities overseen by DGS. BFM provides its customers effective and timely operational, maintenance, and repair services, as well as manages capital outlay projects and provides professional services contracts for statewide public body use.
BFM is responsible for:
- Managing over 40 buildings and 20 parking facilities and operating and maintaining about 6.45 million square feet of buildings and grounds at the seat of government to include the Governor's Mansion, the Virginia Capitol and Capitol Square
- Routine maintenance in DGS-maintained facilities through its 1stService program, where tenants submit service requests online
- Professional and technical support both in-house and by contract to administer the Department of General Services' capital outlay program and support the maintenance, operations, and occupancy of buildings at the Capitol Complex
- Administering the state employee parking program as well as operating and securing DGS parking facilities at the seat of government
- Managing the Capitol Area Complex Identification and Building Access Program, which provides identification cards for state employees and others who do business in DGS-owned facilities