RECYCLING AND WASTE REDUCTION
The Bureau of Facilities Management promotes and maintains a diverse recycling program for state facilities located in and around Capitol Square.
What can you recycle?
- White and colored paper
- Newspaper, magazines and brochures
- Telephone books
- Aluminum cans
- Plastic containers
- Printer cartridges
- Rechargeable batteries
- Plastic beverage containers
- Paper Recycling : Paper, newspaper, telephone books, magazines, brochures, glossy paper, colored newspaper pages, etc.
- Cardboard: Flatten cardboard and place beside the paper recycling containers **food-contaminated items, such as pizza boxes, not accepted**
- Aluminum Cans: Empty, crush
- Printer Cartridges: Send ink jet, laser printer and fax machine cartridges via inter-agency mail to: Printer Cartridge Recycling, DGS Surplus Property, Mail Stop 194-16.
- Rechargeable Batteries: Send batteries through inter-agency mail to: Battery Recycling, DGS Surplus Property Office, Mail Stop 164-16. Each battery should be placed individually in a plastic bag.
- Surplus Furniture and Office Equipment: Underutilized property from DGS-maintained facilities is stored at the Surplus Property warehouses, where it can be redistributed to state agencies, localities or select non-profit organizations, or sold to the public. Contact the Office of Surplus Property Management for more information.
Waste Reduction Program
BFM staff make an effort to reuse and recycle many of the materials generated from Capitol Square buildings, maintenance and operations in an attempt to cut down on waste. Some of those materials include:
- Light bulbs
- Light ballasts
- Refrigerant oils
- Yard waste
- Motor oil and tires
- Plastic parking tags
- Ferrous metals
- Construction materials
For additional information, or for help with the following, contact BFM at BFM-ServiceDesk@dgs.virginia.gov or call (804) 786-3578:
- Missing recycling container
- Possible new location for recycling containers
- Disposal of large quantities of old brochures or files
- Program suggestions, other waste reduction questions