If you have specific concerns, questions, a large project or mail challenge, SMS has experienced personnel who can help consult with you on best solutions for your agency.
We can help you develop cost-effective solutions that meet your needs and your budget. If you have a large project, or are sending or receiving mail that's out of the ordinary, contact us in advance so we can best meet your needs.
Any agency that wants to rent a postage meter, renew a rental or purchase a postal service must consult with SMS before making a commitment. SMS can help your agency determine what equipment and service is appropriate for your mail volume.
- if you have any mail related questions
- before you create a large mailing
- if you have questions about SMS, UPS, or USPS services
- for assistance with mail design to maximize postal discounts
- for information on lowering your mailing costs
- to receive postal products and literature
- before you purchase postal equipment or a USPS service
- to learn more about mail security
- if you would like for us to provide onsite training
- for Centralized Account Processing (Business Reply Mail)
If you have general questions, contact us at StateMail@dgs.virginia.gov or call (804) 236-3592. For specific contacts in SMS, see the list below contact information.
Michael Ciesla, Manager (804) 236-3592
Billing Issues, New Business Units
Robert Taylor, Supervisor (804) 236-3593
Mail stops, delivery questions
For general questions, call (804) 236-3592
Hours of Operation
The SMS Mail Center is open from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. each work day, and is closed on weekends and state observed holidays.
Scheduled Delivery and Pickup Times
SMS has daily routes for pickup and delivery of USPS and inter-agency mail throughout the Richmond metropolitan area. The morning routes start at 8 a.m. and are completed by noon. The afternoon routes begin at 1:30 p.m. and end by 3 p.m.
Times for Mail Processing
All outgoing mail, with the exception of bulk mail, will be processed by SMS and picked up by the USPS on the same day it is picked up from you. Any mail serviced by our facility must arrive before 3:30 p.m. for guaranteed same day processing. Bulk mail will be processed within two business days of receipt.
Frequently Asked Questions
Read the Frequently Asked Questions page to find more information on common state mail questions, or download the Mail Services Guide.