Larger packages over 13 ounces generally should be sent using United Parcel Services (UPS) package delivery services, our preferred method for sending packages. All state agencies must use the UPS contract (#91026) for shipping and delivery of packages. There are advantages that can be realized should you opt for this method. This allows easy verification of your monthly billing and it also lets your unit to track their own UPS shipments through your PC directly. Call SMS for help with setting up your agency direct UPS shipping.
Sending packages through UPS is more cost-effective than sending through the US Postal Service.
Ways to Send Packages Using UPS
There are two ways your agency can send packages through UPS. Your agency can use SMS metering services and have SMS pick up and send the package. Or your agency can directly work with UPS services, and use the UPS website to create shipping labels and arrange UPS pickup.
Use SMS Metering Services to Send UPS Packages
SMS can handle your UPS shipping. First complete the SMS UPS Shipping Form and attach to each package with just one strip of tape to enable SMS to remove the form for processing. You can leave small shipments with your agency's outgoing mail. SMS will pick up UPS packages and dispatch the package that day. Parcels picked up by SMS after 4 p.m. will be shipped the next day. UPS charges will be included in your agency's monthly bill from SMS.
For larger shipments, including printer ink cartridges or large boxes, contact SMS to schedule a special pickup. SMS does not have the ability to handle individual packages over 70 pounds.
Use UPS Services Directly to Send Packages
There are advantages that can be realized should you opt for this method. This allows easy verification of your monthly billing and it also lets your unit to track their own UPS shipments through your PC directly.
To send packages through UPS directly, first your agency must contact SMS to establish an assigned UPS account number. Agencies will need to provide the following information:
- Agency Name
- Division Name
- Physical Address
- Contact Name
- Contact Phone Number
- Average Weekly Volume by Service
After your agency establishes an account, your agency will use the UPS website to create shipping labels and arrange for UPS to pick up the package. UPS will directly bill your agency.
UPS Service Options
Check the UPS contract SMS for the current rates of these services.
- UPS Next Day Air Early AM – If you have packages larger than a letter or document, choose UPS Next Day Air Early AM or Next Day Air. This option provides guaranteed overnight delivery by 8:00am to major cities in the 48 contiguous states and by 8:30 a.m. to many other U.S. cities, including Anchorage, Alaska. If you have letters, documents or small items to send next day, instead use USPS Express Mail. Read more at the USPS Services webpage.
- UPS Next Day Air - Guaranteed overnight delivery by 10:30 a.m., noon, or end of day the next business day depending on destination to every address in all 50 states and Puerto Rico.
- UPS Next Day Air Saver - Affordable end of day, next day guaranteed delivery to all 50 states and Puerto Rico (not available to destinations where UPS Next Day Air is committed for end of day or is not available).
- UPS 2nd Day Air AM - Guaranteed morning delivery on the second business day to commercial locations in the 50 states.
- UPS 2nd Day Air- Guaranteed on-time delivery to every address in the United States (excluding intra-Alaska shipments) and Puerto Rico by the end of the second business day.
- UPS 3 Day Select - Guaranteed delivery within three business days to and from every address in the 48 contiguous states
- UPS Ground - Guaranteed day-definite delivery defined by zip code to every address in the U.S. 48 contiguous states and Canada's 10 provinces. 1-5 business days.
|Packaging Option||Speed||Low Cost||Delivery Information|
|UPS Next Day Air Early||Yes||No||Guaranteed next business day morning delivery on first business day shipment as early as 8 a.m.|
|UPS Next Day Air||Yes||No||Delivery next business day, typically by 10:30 a.m.|
|UPS Next Day Air Saver||Yes||No||Delivery next business day, typically by 3 p.m.|
|UPS 2nd Day Air AM||No||Some options||Guaranteed morning delivery on 2nd business day, typically by 10:30 a.m.|
|UPS 2nd Day Air||No||Some options||Delivery on 2nd business day, by end of day|
|UPS 3 Day Select||No||Yes||Delivery on 3rd business day|
|UPS Ground||No||Yes||Use for packages that do not have to arrive at their location quickly. Delivery within 1-5 business days, depending on location|