TENT/TEMPORARY STRUCTURE PERMITS
Per the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (VUSBC) and the Construction and Professional Services Manual (CPSM), a permit is required for temporary structures including:
- temporary stages/platforms
- amusement devices
- temporary bleachers/grandstands
- other temporary structures.
Permit applications for temporary structures must be submitted to DEB via BITS using the CO-17TMP form.
Supporting documentation must be emailed to BoForms@dgs.virginia.gov at least 14 calendar days prior to the event. Requests received after this time may not be processed.
The following are the minimum required documents for each type of temporary structure.
- Tents: Site Plan (showing tent location, dimensions and distances to nearby structures), Floor Plan/Layout including Exits, Certificate of Flame Resistance with serial number for the structures being used.
- Stages/Platforms: Site Plan (showing location, dimensions and distances to nearby structures), Stage Layout, Manufacturer information.
- Amusement Devices: Site Plan (showing location, dimensions and distances to nearby structures), CO-17TMP Attachment One (available on the DGS Forms Center), Certificate of Liability Insurance, Manufacturer information.
- Bleachers/Grandstands: Construction documents signed and sealed by a registered Architect or Engineer, Site Plan (showing location, dimensions and distances to nearby structures).
- Other Temporary Structures will be discussed on a case by case basis to determine the necessary supporting documentation.
For questions regarding Temporary Structure Permits please email BoForms@dgs.virginia.gov.