RECYCLING ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
The Office of Surplus Management manages a recycling assistance program for state agencies in which vendors handle statewide scrap metal, electronic, and printer ink cartridge recycling, as well as data destruction. Recycling these items is an important way state agencies can continue to support the Commonwealth’s mission to recycle or reuse items, saving costs and resources.
Scrap Metal Recycling
Five vendors handle statewide scrap metal recycling for the Commonwealth. Contact the scrap metal contractor in your area with specific questions about types of scrap metal and to request scrap metal bins.
Data Destruction and Electronic Recycling
Several vendors handle electronic waste recycling and data destruction services for the Commonwealth. This includes computers, monitors, keyboards, computer mice, printers, fax machines, cell phones and audio visual equipment. This does not include NG (Northrop Grumman) equipment.
See contact information for each vendor below.
|C2 Management||Angela Estep||(540) 931-0039|
|Powerhouse Recycling||Brian Beinarauskas||(704) 245-2155|
Printer Ink Cartridge Recycling
OSPM offers recycling of printer and ink cartridges free for your division. We collect cartridges for ink jet printers (black and color), laser printers and fax machines. There are several ways to send your ink cartridges for recycling.
Mail the cartridges directly to our recycler from your location with postage-paid mailing labels
Request self-addressed postage-paid labels from OSPM to mail your cartridges to our recycler.
- Email your request for labels to Floyd Coburn or to OSPM. Include a complete mailing address, contact name, email address and phone number.
- Your division will provide the cardboard shipping boxes (reuse any boxes from your work site)
- There is a 30-pound minimum weight requirement to ship ink cartridges to the recycler, using any combination of cartridges per label/shipping box. For example, 30 pounds equals about 15 toner cartridges or 120 ink jet cartridges.
Mail ink cartridges to OSPM or drop off at our OSPM surplus warehouses
If you are located in the Richmond metro area, mail cartridges through Inter-Agency state mail to:
- Printer Cartridge Recycling, Department of General Services, Office of Surplus Property Management, 1910 Darbytown Road, Richmond, Virginia 23231
Or drop off ink cartridges at the Richmond warehouse above or at our Wytheville warehouse at 800 East Main Street, Wytheville, Virginia 24382. Questions? Email Floyd Coburn, email OSPM or call (276) 223-0917.
Notes for printer ink cartridge recycling
- Collect cartridges from more than just one office or department in your agency to increase program efficiency.
- To protect outside parts, wrap laser printer and fax cartridges in bubble wrap or paper, and box them. Original boxes are not necessary.
State Agencies and Participation in Recycling Programs
Each agency of the Commonwealth of Virginia can and is tasked to do their part to help reduce waste and minimize trash disposal costs by reusing or recycling materials, and use materials made with recycled content.