EMERGENCY KIT COOK-OFF
Chefs, Bring your Aprons, Pantry Items and Creativity
In celebration of September as Emergency Preparedness Month, Virginia Department of Health is hosting an Emergency Kit Cook-off on September 18 from 10:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. The cook-off challenges state employees to submit recipes using nonperishable pantry ingredients that could be found in an emergency kit. Recipe submissions are due by Monday, September 2. Finalists will be chosen based on the Emergency Kit Cook-off rules and regulations and will be asked to prepare their recipes using manual appliances. Prizes will be awarded to winners who present their recipes on September 18. To submit your recipe, please visit the recipe submission page. Eligibility and rules are listed below.
Along with the cook-off, exhibitors will be on site provide emergency preparedness information, free flu vaccinations will be administered by Walgreens (don't forget to bring your insurance cards and a picture ID).
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- Participants must be a state employee to participate.
- If selected as a finalist, participants must be available to supply ingredients and prepare recipe at the VDH Central Office-109 Governor Street Richmond, VA. 23219 on September 18, 2012, from 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Submission of all recipes are due by Sept. 2. Finalists will be notified via email by Sept. 6.
- First Place winner will be presented a prize at the Cook-Off. If chosen, only one prize per recipe selected.
- Participants provide permission for photos to be taken for publishing of event.
- Each participant may submit only one recipe.
- Recipes must consist of nonperishable pantry items (non-refrigerated items).
- Participants must submit snack, main dishes and dessert recipes. No drink recipes are allowed.
- Finalists must use manual appliances like can openers and camping stoves in the preparation of the recipe.
Products are judged on:
- Use of non-perishable ingredients
- Use of manual appliances in the creation of the dish
- Visual appeal
All entries must meet the requirements of applicable regulating agencies, including Dairy, Food and Health Safety
- Sept. 2, recipe submissions are due. Fill out the form and submit it here.
- Sept. 6, Finalists chosen
- Sept. 18, Finalists present recipes to judges for tasting at VDH central office (109 Governor St., Richmond, VA 23219). Emergency Kit Cook-off judging and announcement of winners will go from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.