Dates of Upcoming Classes: See the VIP Calendar
Applications Accepted Now: Expect 2-4 weeks to process new applications
See the links below for more information on the program and application/acceptance process.
Navigates to the VIP Learning Management System
Navigates to VCO Recertification Page
The VCO certification program is the second tier of the Virginia Institute of Procurement Career Ladder for public procurement professionals.
The seven day classroom program covers the intent of procurement law (VPPA) and the application of policies and procedures (APSPM) as they pertain to sealed competitive bids and competitive negotiation over $100,000. It is offered twice annually in Richmond, VA at the DPS/Virginia Institute of Procurement, 1111 East Broad St. 7th Floor.
The Virginia Contracting Associate certification VCA program is required to be eligible for the VCO certification course. The expectation is that you know the laws, policies and procedures for small purchases $0 - $100,000, sole source and emergency methods of procurement. The VCO exam is based on knowledge learned in both the VCA and VCO certification classes.
The VCO program takes place over a three week fast track or a four week standard period:
- Week 1 - 3 days
- Week 2 - OFF
- Week 3 - 4 days
- Week 4 - Exam
- Fast Track:
- Week 1 - 3 days
- Week 2 - 4 days
- Week 3 - Exam
The VCO exam takes place the first Monday and Tuesday following the class. The exam is two parts; Part one is 120 recall and reasoning type questions and Part two is 40 application type questions to test your ability to apply procurement laws and policy to real life scenarios. You must score 75% or higher to pass the test. You only have to retake the part you didn’t pass. Retake exams occur throughout the year.
- All applications must be completed and submitted in the Virginia Institute of Procurement Learning Management System (LMS).
- Upon successfully creating an account in the LMS, enroll in the "Apply to the VCO Program" course, and follow the instructions.
- Approved applicants will receive an email with approval to schedule and pay for a class in the LMS. Class registration and payment as well as selection of a class session must be completed to ensure a class seat for a scheduled date.
- You must take and pass the VCO exam within two years of taking the VCO course.
I. Job Position: Must meet the following criteria
A. Procurement Officer I role in Career Group – Procurement Services #19150 or equivalent position and responsibilities. See LINK to DHRM Procurement Services here
B. Six months in a position which consists of 50% or more of purchasing related activities which includes both small and complex procurements over $100,000. Proof of performing complex procurement by a sealed IFB or RFP award notice on eVA VBO or submit a cover page of the solicitation and awards notice for a sealed IFB or RFP. The IFB or RFP must be issued in the past year with your name as the buyer or contracting officer for the solicitation.
- Virginia Contracting Associate Certification
Documents or evidence required to support VCO application:
- EWP or job description not job advertisement, showing at least 50% or more of job consists of procurement responsibilities.
- Valid VCA Certificate
- Proof of performing complex procurement by a sealed IFB or RFP award notice on eVA VBO or submit a cover page of the solicitation and awards notice for a sealed IFB or RFP. The IFB or RFP must be issued in the past year with your name as the buyer or contracting officer for the solicitation.
Additional Documentation to support your VCO Application may be required on a case by case basis.
Notice of cancellation/switch of dates/substitutions
Notice of Cancellation or desire to switch the class date: You must notify us in writing at least 21 calendar days prior to the date of the registered class. All approved substitutions must be submitted 21 calendar days prior to the date of the class. There is a $25 administration fee for substitutions. If a refund is requested, it will be the cost of the class less an administrative fee.