DREFM Bureau of Real Estate Services


How to lease property to the Commonwealth

  1. Register in eVA to be automatically notified of opportunities
  2. View current Requests for Proposals (RFPs)
  3. Contact the Commonwealth’s brokers, Debbie Wake and Fred Karp with questions or to be put on their contact list
  4. Review the state’s leasing process, which includes the following:
    • BRES leases space on a rentable square foot basis
    • BRES prefers full-service rates that include utilities, janitorial and maintenance services
    • BRES requires that the lessor include in the lease a Tenant Improvement (TI) allowance
    • The Commonwealth pays monthly rent in arrears
    • BRES does not enter into binding letters of intent
    • BRES requires that the standard state lease be used
    • BRES has lease requirements pertaining to ADA, structural evaluation, and other requirements

How the State Acquires Leased Space

DGS/BRES works with executive branch agencies to lease space all over the Commonwealth for offices, warehouses, storage, classrooms, retail or other uses. BRES works with our contracted broker, Divaris, to notify landlords of current RFPs and also posts opportunities in Virginia’s electronic procurement system, eVA. Once a suitable space is located, BRES negotiates with private landlords on behalf of agencies and administers the lease.

State Lease Agreement

BRES requires the use of a standard lease agreement that has been approved by the Office of the Attorney General. The standard lease term is five years; however, the term can vary based upon an agency’s specific programming and budgetary needs.

Tenant Improvements

Property owners interested in leasing space to the state are required to provide tenant improvements required to meet operational requirements, which could be dictated by federal or other regulations.